When dealing with real property issue it is important to have an experienced attorney on your side. The following are some steps you should consider when hiring a real estate attorney.
1. Start early: You should begin some research on attorneys about the time you are considering a purchase of a home. You don’t want to wait til the last minute and rush to quickly hire an attorney. As with all things in life, research is key to making good decisions.
2. Seek advice of others: Talk to you friends, family members, and contacts regarding their experiences with their real estate attorney. They may have hired an attorney to sell or purchase a house. They may have hired an attorney to help them deal with property line disputes. Talk to your network.
3. Look for experience: An experienced attorney is important because chances are they have dealt with unforeseen issues in real estate transaction and disputes.
4. Talk to potential attorneys: Talk to some potential attorneys you may hire. Ask them about their experience and what the process entails regarding your case. Whether the issue is buying a home or cancelling a lease, talk to the attorney to see if they may be the right fit for you. Don’t be afraid to ask them about their fees. A reputable attorney will usually have a free consultation available to help you.
5. Get it in writing: Once you have chosen your attorney, get the agreement in writing. There is usually a retainer agreement and engagement letter. These documents will spell out the services that the attorney will perform and their fee arrangement.
If you have more questions, you can contact us!