Before you hire an attorney for your case, you need to determine if they are a good fit for you. Remember that the answers you received are only as good as your questions. The following questions should give a good idea whether the attorney fits your needs.
Questions to ask your divorce attorney
- 1. How many years and what type of experience do you have?
- 2. How do I contact you in case of an emergency?
- 3. Does the attorney have a flexible schedule?
- 4. What is the general timeline for my case based on the facts I have presented?
- 5. Can you make any type of predictions? What factors will the judge use to rule in my case?
- 6. Can you guide me regarding financial situations that will occur based on this divorce?
- 7. What are the hourly rates or is this a fix rate? Is a retainer required?
- 8. What additional charges should I expect? For example, additional charges could be for expert witnesses or even office expenses.
- 9, What is the estimated total cost of the divorce? This is a tough question that many attorneys will not answer. However, a reputable attorney can give you a typical range for your particular situation (assuming no surprises). Be mindful that an especially low price could be an underestimate.
- 10. What can be done to keep costs down? For example, can there be tasks that I can do myself? Can I speak directly with my spouse?
It is important to note that the KEY to finding an attorney to match your needs is to research the particular attorney. Would you go out and buy a car without doing research? Suffice to say that choosing the right divorce attorney would require a good amount of research.
If you have more questions, you can contact us!